As the calendar turns to September, it is officially time to put the summer season behind us and get ready for fall. Before the leaves begin to fall and the temperature starts dropping, we at Family Practice Center thought now would be a great time to provide a few simple fall season health tips for our readers. It’s a fact that a series of simple actions and lifestyle adjustments can work wonders for keeping yourself and your loved ones healthy through the autumn and beyond. Our experts highly recommend taking the following steps:
Stay Physically Active
- While we understand that the summer season might be the most popular time for outdoor activities, it’s important to maintain a high level of activity during the fall.
- We know it can be tempting to stay in and get comfortable during the cooler fall months, the CDC (Centers for Disease Control) recommends getting at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity each week.
Get a Flu Shot
- Receiving an annual flu shot is the safest and most effective way to prevent yourself from the flu during the fall season.
- Flu cases typically begin to tick up during the fall months, leading into winter, so we suggest getting the shot in October in order to be proactive.
Take Care of Your Skin
- Many people might feel this is primarily a summer concern, but it’s important to think about the health of your skin year-round.
- The sun’s UV rays can still cause sun damage and potentially lead to skin cancer if you are not properly protected.
- Apply at least SPF 30 before you spend any extended time outdoors through the fall months.
- Additionally, some people may benefit from switching up their summer skincare regimen to a heavier, richer moisturizer to maintain healthy skin during the fall months.
Don’t Forget Your Annual Check-Up
- It’s important to make an appointment for an annual check-up before the end of the year.
- Undergoing a complete physical wellness exam here at Family Practice Center can be an excellent way to reconnect with your healthcare provider and get a better idea of the state of your health heading into the end of the year.
By following these steps and living a healthy lifestyle, you can effectively take a proactive approach to your health and wellness this fall season. For more information or to schedule an appointment today, please contact Family Practice Center. We also offer morning walk-in appointments to better serve our patients. Don’t forget to follow along with us on Facebook for additional health tips, news, practice updates, and more.